The links below are intended to put you in touch with breastfeeding support agencies, organizations and individuals who can help you with a range of concerns relating to breastfeeding.
For help with breastfeeding management in Ohio:
- La Leche League of Ohio: Contact a La Leche League Leader in Ohiovia phone or email to ask breastfeeding questions or find a breastfeeding support meeting.
- Ohio Lactation Consultant Association: Find an International Board-Certified Lactation Consultant in Ohio for help with breastfeeding concerns. IBCLCs usually charge a fee.
- BreastPumpFree.com: Medicaid-eligible breastfeeding mothers can receive a free breast pump.
- Ohio’s Department of Health Women Infant Children (WIC) Nutrition programs provide breastfeeding information and support in every Ohio county. Contact your local WIC office for more information.
For help with breastfeeding management anywhere:
- La Leche League International: You can use this map to locate LLL near you. La Leche League Leaders are available around the world.
- You can ask breastfeeding questions in the LLLI Breastfeeding Support Group on Facebook; it may take a day or two to get a response, as the volume is heavy in this group.
- La Leche League USA: Find a Leader in any US state to ask a breastfeeding question or get information about LLL meetings.
- Breastfeeding USA: Find a Breastfeeding USA counselor to ask a breastfeeding question or get information about local meetings.
- International Lactation Consultants Association: Find an International Board-Certified Lactation Consultant for breastfeeding help. IBCLCs usually charge a fee.
Information on Special Topics related to Breastfeeding
|Adoptive Breastfeeding||Donating/Using Human Milk|
|Employment and School||Jury Duty|
|Breastfeeding in Public||Twins, Triplets, Multiples|
|Kangaroo Care||Newborn Breast Crawl Video|
|Recommended Breastfeeding Websites|
- Mother’s Milk Bank of Ohio: Find out how and why to donate human milk.
- You can also contact the Human Milk Banking Association of North America for information about human milk donation and use.
- Infant Risk Center at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center is the website of Thomas Hale, Phd, author of the medical reference manual Medications and Mothers’ Milk. You can call the Infant Risk Center (Monday-Friday 8am-5pm Central time) at (806)-352-2519and ask about specific medications and their effect on breastfeeding mothers and babies.
- LactMed, part of ToxNet: An online search for information on medications and breastfeeding.
Breastfeeding Protection in Law: Information on Breastfeeding Laws across the US from the National Conference of State Legislatures.
Information on State Laws that may add further protection to the Federal Laws from abetterbalance.org
- Information on the Federal law regarding pumping accomodation for breastfeeding employees:
- An Online Guide of What You Need to Know About the “Break Time for Nursing Mothers” Law From the USBC (United States Breastfeeding Committee)
- Fact Sheet on Break Time for Nursing Mothers under the FLSA, U.S. Department of Labor
- Break Time for Nursing Mothers, U.S. Department of Labor
- Frequently Asked Questions – Break Time for Nursing Mothers, U.S. Department of Labor
- A resource from the National Women’s Law Center: New Benefits for Breastfeeding Moms: Facts and Tools to Understand Your Coverage under the Health Care Law
- A Resource from the USBC on Where To Go For Help with concerns about breastfeeding and employment: Federal Workplace Law: Where Should You Go For Help
- To file a complaint regarding violation of the Federal law, contact the Ohio Civil Rights Commission.
- This is the exact text of Ohio’s law protecting breastfeeding in public places.
- To file a complaint regarding violation of Ohio’s law of public accomodation for breastfeeding, contact the Ohio Civil Rights Commission.
- Best for Babes has a hotline to report instances of breastfeeding mothers being harassed for nursing in public.
- Here is a conversation with Jake Ayreh Marcus, JD, about breastfeeding and jury duty, including Ohio courts.
- Family Friendly Jury Duty website.
- Ask Lenore website with lots of information and links for learning about inducing lactation for an adopted baby.
- Karen Gromada‘s website, author of Mothering Multiples, published by LLLI.
- Dr. Nils Bergman and Jill Bergman’s website for information on Kangaroo Care for infants.
- La Leche League International
- Mothers Overcoming Breastfeeding Issues
- Biological Nurturing
- Breastfeeding Made Simple, by Nancy Mohrbacher and Kathleen Kendall-Tackett
- Low Milk Supply, by Diana West and Lisa Marasco
- Ask Dr. Sears
- Dr. Jack Newman
- Site for Dr. Jack Newman’s clinic in Toronto, with videos and resources
- Dr. Jay Gordon
- Breastfeeding USA